Every Action!

Every Action has an Equal and Opposite Reaction!

Well, as I told you I joined Google + so that I could back up all of my photos. I really didn't know what I was doing but magically all my photos appeared on the Google + site. They are all there, even though it takes me a while to find what I'm looking for. I assume that once I get used to the program, it will get easier.

So, as I said, or actually as Isaac Newton said, "every action has an equal and opposite reaction" and just as I was patting myself on the back over my wise and forward thinking implementation of Google +, the "reaction" appeared. To my surprise, while I was reviewing some of my recent blog posts I noticed that some of my photos did not appear - a grey blank symbol in their place! After much research I discovered that by joining Google + somehow any photos that I have uploaded from my Picassa web albums disappeared!!?? It seems that other people who have blogs have had this problem as well so it is comforting to know that it's not just me. I've read that Google is planning to "phase out" Picassa and get people to switch to the "new" program (Google +). I always assumed that if you uploaded a photo (no matter from where) that it would stay there until you removed it. 

Where to go From Here?

So what to do about this situation. I can go back and reload the photos that have been lost, if I still have them! Other bloggers are far worse off as they have used Picassa for all of their pics. (Other bloggers are much more serious than I am as well.) I might consider starting a new blog in another program like Wordpress. Perhaps a fresh start is what's needed! 

The whole thing brings me to another good point that photographer, Sean McGrath stressed, be sure to get at least some of your photos printed! Computers crash, technologies change, but (short of a house fire or flood) you will always have hard copies. Good advice!

Another piece of advice he talked about, was refraining from taking and keeping (electronically) large numbers of photos. It can be overwhelming when you begin the process of sorting them out. I guess it's like telling a story. If there's too much detail and information the listener just tunes out. So when it comes to photos ...... how many images do really you need to capture the moment?


Comments

Popular Posts