Coping Strategies


The end of March and this is what greets us when we open our front door! While I have vowed not to dwell on the miserable, depressing, isolating, unrelenting, horrible winter we have had, and apparently continue to have, I deserve at least one rant. It's my party and I'll cry if I want to!
Falling short of playing "The Glad Game", I will attempt to put a positive spin on things and share my coping strategies - NETFLIX! I've read a few good books this winter, signed up for a winter course (which got cancelled) and even embraced the beauty of winter by visiting some ice caves, but my true savior has been Netflix. 
                                                           
              
Since the arrival of streaming and PVR-ing, I can't seem to be bothered with viewing something once a week at a specific time. I want it - when I want it - as much as I want - or as little -  and without any annoying commercials! The CRTC has recently forced service providers to offer "pick and pay" type packages so that consumers are not paying for bundles that include programs that they don't want. Our viewing options seem to be looking up. It will be interesting to see where the industry is in a few years.
In the meantime, as I mentioned, my new best friend Netflix has filled many a housebound winter day or evening with viewing pleasure that I will share with you. 

So, here are some recommendations:
  • House of Cards
  • Orange is the New Black
  • The Hour 
  • The Bletchley Circle (same era as The Imitation Game)
  • Call the Midwife
  • Rake (very entertaining)
  • Mr. Selfridge
  • Damages
  • The Fall
  • Kingdom
  • Suits
  • The Good Wife
  • Last Tango in Halifax 
  • Bates Motel (hokey but somewhat entertaining)
  • Scott and Bailey (quite good)
Yes! I have actually spent all that time viewing! Imagine if I had put that time into reading classics, or history ..... how smart would I be? Like my mother used to say .... "Lynn, if you knew your school work as well as you know the words to all the songs on the radio, you'd be an A student." I guess somethings never change!

Personally, I enjoy the British shows. The characters are more realistic without the superficial Hollywood glam ...... plus they have cool accents! If you have the US Netflix, MI5 and Peaky Blinders are both good.

So ..... now, hopefully, as the days grow longer and weather improves I will pursue more worthwhile activities and interests that take me out of the house more often.






Comments

Popular Posts