What's the matter with, "happy", "upbeat", "positive"?



So it's midish January, and my "resolution" is to try new things, and "try" to be upbeat and positive. My quest has been to find a new "good read" and a new series or movie to watch that does not depress me. Trust me ... that's not easy! My other (perhaps better) half has been watching Fargo. I really tried to get into it but the mindless cold blooded killing was just too much! A good friend gave me a new book to read that takes place during the hard times of WWII. Sorry Cathy, but I just can't bring myself to invest the time in that sad situation (no matter how intriguing)! At the moment we are watching Luther on Netflix ..... interesting, suspenseful, but so violent and depressing!


I picked up a little book at the library the other day Called Traveling While Married, a very cute read about couples traveling and the silly things they encounter. One thing she (Mary-Lou Weisman) mentions is that most people don't want to hear about your trip unless something bad happened. She suggests it's human nature to pass up the headline in the local paper "COUPLE CELEBRATES  60 YEARS OF WEDDED BLISS" in favor of "BOY TRAPPED IN REFRIGERATOR, EATS OWN FOOT"! [p.146] I hate to say it but I think she's right .... we prefer to hear about, read about, or watch the "awful"!

Speaking of "awful" I recently saw the movie The Revelant. Before you gasp, I have to say that the movie (as the critics say) has great acting (I think?), fabulous scenery and cinematography as well as an incredible story .... I just didn't like all the blood and gore! Nobody seems to win in this movie and the mail character just can't catch a break! He is ambushed by Indians, sent through rapids and a huge waterfall, mauled by a bear, his son is killed and he (the main character) is left to die by his comrades! Really?
I surmise that the movie is also supposed to draw attention to the terrible treatment of the native American people during those times. However, in the movie, it was the "French" soldiers/explorers, who killed the nice "Indian" who helped Leonardo Di Caprio and raped the "Indian" girl ... not the Americans! ... again, Really?

I heard about a very "nice" movie that I would like to watch. It may not win any awards but I don't care! At least it would give me have an hour or so of enjoyment as opposed to closing my eyes to avoid the sight of stab wounds or chopped off limbs!

Check out the link to the trailer below for "What We Did On Our Holiday". I can't wait to see this movie!



Image result for movie our holiday


What We Did on Our Holiday

Comments

Popular Posts