Fall Fashion Changeover

How boring it must be to live in a place where the climate is the same all year round. In San Diego, for example, the weather remains about 70 degrees F. throughout the year ..... how boring would that be? (I know I will be eating those words when the snow is half way up our doorstep in February.) At the risk of sounding "sour grape -ish", I am actually looking forward the change from summer to fall.




This week I will be putting away my summer duds and hauling out the winter stuff to see what's what. Usually as I sift through last season's clothes, I always discover things that I had forgotten about and actually look forward to wearing. On the other hand I know there will be items that will simply have to go!

Along with the actual "sifting through" and "trying on" things that I have, I think it's also good to do some research. Checking out what's new in the stores is essential. My mother used to call it "window shopping" but I call it "research".  Occasionally I find myself looking for a particular item (like a style of footwear or pants) and have no luck at all....... a good friend of mine says that if you can't find what you are looking for ..... IT"S OUT OF STYLE!

As I was doing a little "research" both in the stores and on line, I came across a video that was featured on the show "Cityline". This episode offers suggestions for wardrobe ideas for fall/winter and for the most part they seem to favour "older" women .... and that's fine with me. I have to say that I didn't really, personally, care for the outfits that were featured. The first model wore an "oversized" coat that I found quite frumpy and the colours in general seemed very dark. However, I did glean a few good ideas that I think I can apply to my own wardrobe.

Fall Wardrobe Ideas:

  • You tend to wear 20% of your wardrobe 80% of the time ..... so spend a bit more money on that 20%! 
  • Two pairs of pants are staples; jeans and black or charcoal pants. They should be slim, but not necessarily super skinny and of course very comfortable.
  • Flat loafers or ballet style shoes are another staple that can go with almost everything from jeans to a dress
  • A basic black mini dress can serve as a tunic with tights or over pants and you can layer other tops, cardigans or sweaters over it.
  • A classic white blouse can be worn under a "cool" top that is too short or skimpy to wear on its own. It can also be worn on its own or with a variety of other pieces. 

The White Blouse Problem:

I love a white blouse and wear them often. However, after a season or even a few months, those nasty yellow "arm pit" stains begin to appear. There's all kinds of stain removal advice out there, but I have never had any luck with them. So, my solution is: buy a new ( cheap reasonably priced) blouse every season! H & M always has great tailored blouses for $19.00 .... so why not buy two?
Guess who the model is for these pics? Don't I look great? Ha!

Check out the fashion episode from Cityline below!

City Line Episode






Comments

Popular Posts