Garden Trends For This Spring

A few perennials from last year that the deer seemed to leave alone.


It's early April and of course I'm dreaming of spring and summer .... aren't we all? Snow is still covering our back yard and there are no signs of any new buds or better yet, daffodils. But there is hope and I have already received my order from Vesey Seeds!

Since all I can do is dream, at this point, I began Googling "Garden Trends for 2018", just to find some inspiration. Among the many sites that list the "trends" for this year, a few were reoccurring.

Garden Trends For 2018

  • Edible gardens: The move toward eating healthy is encouraging us to "grow our own" when ever possible, whether it's a tomato plant on the balcony, herbs on your windowsill, or raised beds in the backyard.
  • Embracing Alfresco: Creating an eating space in the backyard or on the deck is very popular.
  • Wabi Sabi: The Japanese acceptance of transience and imperfection. Dying blossoms and foliage that naturally happens with seasonal transitions and over grown plants are "okay"!
  • Balcony Gardening: Doing the most with any space that you have.
  • Sheds: That are compact, practical and stylish
  • Experimenting with what you grow: Try growing exotic, heritage or new specimens in the garden, or even in a planter!

How Do I Embrace These New Trends in My Own Backyard?

First of all, forget the "alfresco space". Hubby hates eating outdoors (says it makes the food cool off too fast) and with our moderate coastal temperatures, I have to agree. Wabi Sabi is already alive and well in my backyard .... imperfection is my middle name! Balcony Gardening or in my case "deck gardening" is the only way I can display the prettiest of summer blossoms with out the deer eating them! While I all ready have chives and mint in my flower beds, I plan to grow more edibles in the new enclosed space beside our shed. Aside from my plot in the community garden and most of the deck, this is my only "deer free" zone. Our shed is practical and compact, but definitely in need of some style.


This is yesterday's photo of our sad little shed. (check out the snow still lingering!) Of course in summer the window box is filled with flowers and there are perennials that come up below the window box. However, it can definitely do with some sprucing up! New colours on the window and perhaps on the door should help. The structure beside is our deer free enclosure.

One needs to look no further than Pinterest for oodles of shed ideas!

Lotta cute garden shed ideas here.
Image found on Pinterest.

My Trends For This Season:

  • In my yard (outside the deer free space) plant and nurture only what the deer do not like.
  • Remove all plants that are yummy to the deer.
  • Make the most of my "deer free" areas - engage in lots of container gardening on the deck.
  • Spruce up the shed as well as the deck with paint, stain, pretty cushions etc.
  • Without being tacky, look for cool garden ornaments, stepping stones etc. to add visual interest (to replace what the deer have eliminated).
Perhaps the title for this post should have been, " Creating a Pretty Backyard in Spite of the Deer"!

Mr. Deer last year in our yard deciding what to eat first!




Comments

Popular Posts